Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dunedin: 4-6 November

That day on the bus I had a lot of work to do. I decided to cut my travels even shorter and return home 9 November. This would get me home in time for many things I didn’t want to miss and save me a TON of money. So I got a lot done considering I only got two hours of sleep the night before…snoring, smelly, loud roommates…

So I got to Dunedin and the hostel owner came to pick me up. This was perfect because HOLY BALLS does Dunedin have a ton of hills. You could eat anything and everything here and be fit if you walked everyday. So much cardio work! When I got to the hostel I felt like a zombie so between a couple of naps I continued to get my final travel days and flights home figured out. I then went into town and got some dinner, groceries, and then went to an Italian movie called “Tanti baci dopo” or “ Many Kisses Later.” An Italian flim festival is going on throughout NZ so I thought it would be a perfect thing to do for a relaxing night. And I really liked the movie!

The next morning it was a cold, gloomy, rainy day out so I just had a relaxing day around the hostel. Met some nice, smelly, dirty hippies. That afternoon I went on a wildlife tour! WOW did we see some awesome wildlife. We saw a lot of bird species and got to see the Royal Albatross at a conservation for them where they nest.

I wonder if mice are flying on their back?


After that we headed to the coast. I saw two black sheep on the way! I have seen hundreds and hundreds of sheep in NZ and I am surprised that these were the first black sheep I have seen! The title holds true! :P



Once we got to the bluffs on the coast. The gloomy weather cleared up a bit but it was winnnnnndy! When we got down to the beach, our first Yellow-eyed Penguin came right out of the water to say Hello and walked right in front of us!

Eeeee!





We moved into the beach now and saw some more Yellow-eyed Penguins and then went to go take a look at some Sea Lions!



We then went to a different area and watch many more Yellow-eyes Penguins come inform the sea and hop on and up a steep hill!

















All around the bluff were many Blue Penguins in their nests!



After going to another spot to see the Yellow-eyed Penguins hop up the hill some more and see a nest up close we went up and over the hill to a spot to see many Fur Seals!

Arh Arh
















I then rushed back up the hill to the bus to finally get out of the cold wind. What an experience!!! I saw sooo many awesome wildlife animals and I got to be up close and personal with my favorite animal, the Penguin!!!

That night was another relaxing night at the hostel. The next morning was again a cold and gloomy day. I did go into town to see some of the architecture of the many cathedrals around.






































I went back to the hostel around mid-day and got everything ready for my trip to Christchurch! This hostel defiantly did not have any insulation. It was SO cold. Since being in NZ, I have realized I have horrible circulation in my hands! Thanks Mom, you had to give me the bad hand circulation gene instead of the musical talent gene. :P Just kidding, love you!

After sitting by a heater for a while, I was off to my last and final city in NZ!

1 comment:

  1. sorry :(. I gave you the "I love munchie basket" gene too!

    ReplyDelete